Heartwarming

The Rainbow Fish - Marcus Pfister, J. Alison James

The Rainbow Fish is a lovely story that teaches students about the joy of sharing. In the story, a beautiful fish with the shiniest scales is asked to share one with a friend. The fish loves his scales and does not want to give any of them up, so he rudely refuses. His decision not to share causes all of the other fish to refuse to be his friend. The fish realizes, through some very wise advice, that sharing his scales will bring him more joy than keeping them all to himself, so he decides to share. He shares his scales with one fish and then another, and then another, until he is left with only one. I love the message of this book!

Use in the classroom: I would read the book at the beginning of the year and follow up by having the students  create a scale with some information about themselves on it. I will glue all of the scales on to a big fish and display it on the wall. This activity will be used to teach the students that they are all apart of a small community with wonderful differences that need to be shared!

Target grades: kindergarten-2nd