Extraordinary read!

Charlotte's Web - E.B. White, Garth Williams, Rosemary Wells

A sweet little pig named Wilbur is given a second chance at life when Fern steps up and saves him from being killed by his owner. Fern takes great care of Wilbur and they become great friends, until Wilbur grows big enough to be transferred to a new home in the barn. Because Fern is not able to visit as often as she would like, Wilbur is forced to make friends with the other animals in the barn. His new friends teach him all about the ways of life, but Charlotte helps him keep his life. This amazing book teaches students about the true meaning of friendship and loyalty. You are definitely going to want oyur little ones to read this one. Be warned that there is death in this story. However, I think this story is a great way to teach your kiddos that death is apart of life and that what matters is what you do with the life you are given. It's pretty deep stuff, but so so good!

Use in the classroom: For starters, this book will spark a lot of discussion, which is great! I would probably have students do a good bit of writing with this one. Perhaps, have them write about what they think a true friend is (how one should act). Of course, I would have some sort of fun "craftivity" too!

Target grade: 3rd-5th