Simple and Purposeful!

Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? - Bill Martin Jr., Eric Carle

Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What do You see? is a wonderful book for your beginning readers. In the book, the narrator asks various animals what they see, to which the animals usually reply with another animal. There are many animals featured in the story: a bear, bird, duck, horse, frog, cat, dog, sheep, and goldfish and depending on your version, you may see a teacher, mother, children or students.  It is a very colorful story with a lot of rhyme and easy predictability that your kids will love! Brown Bear is simple, but so fun and purposeful.

Use in the classroom: I would use this in the classroom to help my students with sequencing skills. I would read the story and then pass out a copy of the story to groups. The story will be all scrambled up and the students will have to put it back in order. I will include pictures to help students make connections with what they have seen and heard in the story previously.

Target grade: kindergarten-2nd (depending on the activity you are wanting to do)